Thursday, September 23, 2010

Show Me A Good Time – September 23, 2010

Scott made a comment yesterday that he never gets to choose where we spend the day. To that, I handed him the visitor directory and gave him the reins to plan the day. Boy, does my husband know how to show me a good time!

After breakfast, we drove south on Hwy 395 to the town of Lone Pine. This was quite the drive. I am pretty sure it ended being about 100 miles one way. By the way, there wasn’t much to see for 100 miles.

Just before we got to Lone Pine, we stopped at the Manzanar National Monument. This area was used as a relocation center during World War II. Not much is left of the buildings, but the visitor center was an amazing display of the life at the center. In addition to the visitor center, we drove around the grounds taking the auto tour.

Walking to the Visitor Center.  This whole area was covered with barracks that held approximately 10,000 Japenese during World War II
The monument created by the Japenese while they were living here
We then continued on to Lone Pine. Our first stop was the film museum in Lone Pine. They had props and movie posters for over 400 movies filmed in Lone Pine and the Alabama Hills. Most of the movies were old westerns. The museum was kinda cheesy, but it was worth the visit.

Visiting the film museum
My hero!!!
We didn’t realize until we got Lone Pine, but Mt. Whitney, the highest peak in the contiguous United States is also located here. We went up a road that takes you to the base camp for all the hikers going to the top. The base camp is located at about 8,500 ft so that means it’s quite a hike to the top at 14,505 feet.

This is as close as we got to the top of Mt. Whitney
On the way back down the road, we drove through the Alabama Hills to the famous arch located there. The arch appears in several movies, none of which I had ever heard of.

Does this arch look familiar to anyone else?
The Alabama Hills were fun to hike around in
How does my husband top all of this adventure? He took me to the Mobile gas station for dinner. Yes, I said the mobile gas station! Actually, they have a really good restaurant located in the mini-mart, and I have the t-shirt to prove it. It was really busy. I think it was busy because they usually have live music on Thursday nights, but I think that ended last week.


I’ll be sure to ask Scott what he wants to do tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment