Sunday, September 12, 2010

One Night at the Fair

There is nothing more American than a County Fair. The County Fair, it’s a place to watch proud local kids show their animals that they have raised for the past year, it’s a place to see beautiful works of art created by local people, it’s a place to ride a questionable carnival park ride, it’s a place to eat a giant piece of dough covered in sugar, and it’s a place to see your friends you haven’t seen in a while.


This year, we took Scott’s buddy Dusty. It’s been a while since we went to the fair with a kid. It was so much fun watching the fair through his eyes. Somehow he talked Scott into riding a carnival ride. I have never known Scott to get on one of these things. I think he didn’t want to look like a wimp in front of Dusty. Ultimately I think he had more fun than Dusty.


They chose to go on this ride.  The ride slowly takes you to the top of the pole and then suddenly drops, stopping just before you hit the ground.



Just in case you can't see Scott and Dusty's faces good enough, here is a zoom of the previous picture:


We made a quick stop in the photography exhibit to check out the local competition. To be honest, Scott and I had gone down earlier in the week to watch the judging so we knew the results. We had also seen all the pictures, so we didn’t spend much time in the exhibit hall.




We were there just long enough to see my picture hanging on the “Best of Show” wall. Yes, my picture won a “Best in Show” ribbon. I am mostly excited that I beat Scott and have bragging rights for the next year. The competition is on.


What would a fair be without a demolition derby? Neither Dusty nor I had ever been to one. I’m not sure who was more excited. As the moon rose over the carnival, the cars came into the arena. Dusty’s favorite car was the pink breast cancer car that had “I feel my boobs, do u” spray painted on the side. I’ll leave it up to Scott to explain to him what that means.




Here’s to another great fair. I am already looking forward to next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment