Monday, December 6, 2010

The 12 Days of Christmas

The other day I went to write something in my calendar and suddenly realized that I had something written on almost every day of December. Wow, when did that happen?

I love the holidays. I love the thought of spending extra time with friends and family. I love the gift giving part. Taking time to make something or to come up with the perfect gift and then watch the person as they open it. Nothing ruins these things as much as being stressed out. Nobody enjoys not being able to relax with your friends and family because you are always thinking of the next thing you need to do.

I made the decision to take Friday and Monday off and basically check out from the world and concentrate on getting a jump start on Christmas.

Friday, Scott and I followed the snowplow over the hill to the big city to do some shopping. Yes, we could get most of our gifts here in town, but it’s fun to make a day of shopping, eating out, and spending time in the car talking about our plans for the rest of the month. We ended the day with a wonderful dinner at the Pinehurst Inn.

Sunday, Dusty and Scott scored the best Christmas tree on the lot. They brought it home and set it up. I spent this morning decorating it. Decorating the tree consists of putting the three strands of lights and two dozen multi-colored balls on the branches. Trust me, it doesn’t take long.

These boys look really proud of their find at the Christmas tree lot.

It was important for Mack to supervise the process of putting the tree in the stand and making sure it was straight.
Daisy and I stayed out of the way and only added our input when it was asked for.
 
This is my favorite Christmas decoration in our house.  It's an old sled we found in an antique store downtown that we use to display the Christmas cards we receive
Lae'ula loves the tree.  If she had her way, we would have one inside year round.
 
Decorated tree - check.  Presents wrapped - check.  Stockings hung with care - check.
This was a very productive weekend. Gifts got made, wrapped, and some even boxed up for shipping. I really feel like I accomplished a lot and I am really glad that I took the extra days off.

In honor of the classic Christmas song “The 12 Days of Christmas”, I am including my 12 Days of Christmas list. Some of these (not many) have been checked off. (Feel free to sing the list if that makes it easier.)

12 – Christmas movies recorded on my DVR. I love this time of year on Hallmark and Lifetime. The thing about Christmas movies, they always have a happy ending. Nothing bad ever happens at Christmas time.

11 – Homemade gifts. There is nothing like giving, or receiving, a homemade gift.

10(0) – Handmade Christmas cards. Yes, we make and send 100 Christmas cards. For some people in our lives, it is the only time we hear from them and it’s important to us to keep in contact.

9 – Stores left on the list. I really think that I can get all my shopping done by the end of next weekend. It’s now a matter of picking up those last few things.

8 – Boxes to ship. Texas, Hawaii, Arkansas, Washington, Oregon. What do these five states all have in common? Friends and family in these states will receive a package from us this year.

7 – Rolls of wrapping paper. I don’t know what it is, but I have a hard time using the same wrapping paper from one year to the next. We have a large bin of wrapping paper, and yet, I still bought new paper this year.

6 – Tubs of Christmas decorations. All the Christmas lights and decorations we have accumulated over the past years. Maybe one day we will put them all out at once.

5 – Hours of travel one way to get to my family’s house. I will be going home by myself again this year for Christmas Eve. Maybe one year, Scott will get the time off and go with me.

4 – People at my house on Christmas Day. Scott informed me the other day that both the boys asked if we could do Christmas Day at our house this year. That never happens. Life pulls us in all directions this time of year and usually we end up doing our family Christmas closer to New Year’s. I am trying to not get excited, but it would be a Christmas miracle if we could all be home, open our presents, and eat dinner together on Christmas day.

3 – Birthday Parties to attend. This is a December of milestones. I get to attend a first birthday party and a fiftieth birthday party. Oh, and the third party, well that would be mine. It’s not exactly a party, but I share my birthday with two other beautiful women, who happen to be my good friends. Having a December birthday is hard because you get lumped in with Christmas and the rush of everything, but this year we are taking a night off and going out for Sushi and a chick-flick.

2 – Christmas Parties. I love Christmas parties! I love the stress of bringing the perfect side dish, finding the perfect exchange gift, and wearing the perfect holiday outfit, and then getting there and feeling relaxed because you are surrounded by friends.

1 – The Community Production of White Christmas. For a few years, we went to Salem to watch a local Christmas pageant put on by someone I used to work with. Then for a few years we went to Albany to watch my niece dance in the local Nutcracker ballet. This year, we are staying in town and watching the community production of White Christmas. It’s amazing how many talented people we have in our local community.

(Insert a deep breath here)

It will all come together. It doesn’t matter if I bring the perfect side dish, the perfect exchange gift, or the perfect outfit. What matters is that we take the time to enjoy our time together. Life has this funny way of passing us by and sometimes you miss the perfect moment by not being present in it.

1 comment:

  1. I loved your blog tonight! Also, loved seeing our Christmas card displayed on your way cute sleigh!!! (a special thank you to Scott for taking the photo!!!)
    From our family to yours - Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete