Monday, December 20, 2010

Squeeze in a Little Baking

The girls at work have an annual Christmas tradition.  Every year we bake goodies for one of the shifts.  This year is A-shift, which happens to be on duty tomorrow.  When I started working at the Fire District, there were five of us girls, then we went to four, and now we are down to three.  (Are you feeling the guilt yet Tonja?)

This year we decided to bake pies instead of candy and cookies.  Honestly, it was much easier.  I came home tonight and gathered everything I would need to make my famous apple-blackberry pie.  Ok, it’s not famous yet but I figure that if I make enough, I’ll become known for it.

IMG_8705

The pies have to bake for an hour so I figured I would bake two and then three. 

IMG_8711

The first two went off without a hitch.  In the oven in record time.  Then I realized that I miscalculated the amount of blackberries I would need.  Living where we do, it’s not really convenient to run to the grocery store.  Not only is it twenty miles away, but I passed three cars already in the ditch on my way home, one of which had rolled a couple of times.  I decided it wasn’t worth risking my life for some blackberries. 

I considered rationing what I had left, which was just enough to make one more apple-blackberry pie.  I figured rationing them would make it look kinda funny that there were just a few blackberries in each pie.  In the end, I made two pies which were just apple.

IMG_8712

Group two is just about ready to go in the oven.

IMG_8713

Slits cut in the top of each one.

IMG_8714

Brushed with a little half and half.

IMG_8716

And sprinkled with a little cane sugar, direct from Hawaii.

IMG_8718

Ta Da.  Five pies for five crews.  While slicing all the apples for these pies I was thinking about how busy this time of year can get.  But I can’t imagine giving this up.  Now, I just hope these guys remember the love and appreciation that was put into each of these!

No comments:

Post a Comment