Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Old Man Winter Has Come Knocking

Today is the first day of winter.  I wonder if anyone around here even noticed.  Considering the winter weather started here a month ago.

IMG_8685

We went out to dinner and to see the community production of White Christmas the other night.  When we went into the restaurant for dinner the roads were clear and most of the snow was gone.  When we came out an hour later, the snow as blowing sideways.  It was fitting for the evening. 

Yesterday morning, while it was still dark outside, Daisy started barking.  The kind of bark that I knew meant someone was at our house.  Dragging myself out of bed and through the house, I could see headlights in our driveway.  Who could possibly be at my house at 6:30am on a Monday morning.  As the vehicle backed up, I could make out the plow on the front of the truck.  It was a moment in time where I had an out-of-body experience.  Growing up I would never have imagined living in a place where the local snowplow driver shows up in the wee hours of the morning to plow your driveway so that you can get to work.  I couldn’t believe that I was standing here watching this.  Then reality hit and I realized that, since my driveway was now clear, I would have to go to work.

IMG_9541

We got enough snow over the weekend that Scott had his crew out plowing the stations on Monday.

IMG_9552

The kids enjoyed their first day of Christmas vacation by sledding down the fifth hole at the local golf course.

Keno Sunrise1

The sunrise this morning showed a promising first day of winter.  I am happy to report that there was no new snow today.  Don’t get me wrong, I love the snow, but it would be great if it could hold off another five days, just long enough to get through the travel weekend.

One good thing, today is officially the shortest day of the year.  Brighter days are ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment