Monday, November 29, 2010

A Busy Weekend

This past weekend was Thanksgiving. Scott had to work over the holiday weekend so I headed north by myself. The weather was a little tricky, but the extra drive time was worth it to be able to spend Thanksgiving with my family. My mother cooked a classic dinner on Thursday and later my sister’s family came over for dessert. It was an early to bed evening because Friday morning came early.

I picked Dawn up at 3:15am to catch the best of the holiday sales. After seeing the line outside Target, which I am not kidding, had at least two thousand people in it, we decided to skip Target and head to Fred Meyer. Thank goodness Starbucks was open early. We got a coffee and got in line, with the two other women in line. We had to wait about an hour for the store to open, but it was worth it.   We were the first ones in the store and ended up getting everything on our list. I can’t tell you any of the specifics in case you are one that we were shopping for.

We hit every store in Albany, including having a huge breakfast, before noon. Some people may think we are crazy to get up at that hour and stand in line for unbelievable amounts of time. Dawn and I don’t think so. There is something special about standing outside Fred Meyer at 4:00am with a Starbucks latte and your best friend. These are the moments we will talk about years later.

After taking a very long nap, I spent Friday night with my sister. We went to a movie theater in Albany call the Pix Theatre http://www.albanypix.com/. If you are ever in the Albany area, you have to check out this theatre. Not only did we get to see the new movie “Love and Other Drugs”, but we got to drink beer and wine during the movie!  Wow, wine and Jake Gyllenhaal's naked butt!

Saturday was my travel home day, but first I stopped off at Oregon State University to watch Cameron wrestle. In high school, Dawn and I participated in Mat Rally. In short, we managed the wrestling team. It’s been almost twenty years since I went to a wrestling meet. I forgot home much I love this sport. There were almost 1,000 wrestlers registered to participate and they had about 20 mats going at all times. There were little kids, big kids, boys, and girls. One of the best parts was that the OSU wrestling team acted as the referees for the matches. You could tell that the kids thought this was the coolest thing ever.

I have never seen Cameron wrestle before and I can’t believe how good he is!!! There were four wrestlers in his group so he wrestled three times. I was so impressed with Cameron’s skills. The lighting inside the facility was not the best, and I didn’t want to use my flash to distract anyone, so the pictures are a little blurry. Here are some from Cameron’s first match:






Cameron won this match by scoring the most points in the end.

The second match started before we could get to it, so I didn’t get to see the whole thing. Plus, Cameron beat his opponent by a “technical fall” which means he scored ten points more than his opponent so they called the match. Here are a couple of photos from that match:



Match number three didn’t last long and ended with Cameron pinning his opponent. Thers pictures pretty much tell the story of that match:







Three out of three!!! Wow! Thank you Cameron for inviting me to watch you wrestle. I hope I get the chance to see you again. Keep up the good work.

No comments:

Post a Comment