Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sunday Brunch

Ahhh, another week over and a new one on the horizon.  Good to see you again my friend.  I can’t wait to hear all about your week and what you are up to.

The weather here is finally getting better.  I guess better is all a matter of opinion.  Some people actually enjoy the snow.  Not to say that I don’t enjoy it, but I am so ready to put away the sweaters and boots and break out the capri pants and sandals.  In fact, I spent half of my weekend getting out my summer clothes.  Closet space in our house is limited so I have to shrink wrap my seasonal clothes.  Two nice days of weather and I was ready to swap the sweaters for the tank tops.

The other morning I was ready to leave for work when I looked out the window to find some other creatures enjoying the newly uncovered green grass.

IMG_9896

They were so excited to finally have this treat!  I figured they would run off when I opened the back door.  Nope.  I figured they would run off when I opened the garage door.  Nope.  I figured they would run off when I started to drive down the driveway.  Nope.  They had found what they wanted and they weren’t budging for anything.

IMG_9901

The deer weren’t the only ones who enjoyed the good weather.  After a busy week, that included several after work meetings or appointments, Scott and I were finally able to get out and enjoy the sunshine Friday night after I got home from work.  We took the dogs out for a walk down the road from our house.  We usually head towards the river or back towards town, but this night we turned right and headed up the hill towards the other subdivision.

After walking for a while, we decided to cut back through the BLM land that runs along and behind our house.  This would allow the dogs to run free without having to watch for traffic.  There are several ATV trails that run through this patch of land.  Some of them were used as logging roads at one time.

As we were walking along through the woods, using one of the old logging roads that comes out right at the end of our driveway, I made a comment to Scott about the amount of trash along the side to the trail.  He pointed out the rusty tin cans.  I had noticed them, but never gave them much thought.  He showed me how they were leftover from the old logging camps that would come through temporarily while they were logging the area.  Looking closer, it was fairly easy to find other remnants of these camps.  Places where the land had been shaped to allow for a stream to be diverted and spots of the land that had been cleared to set up the camps.  The other thing that you can find, by moving a few pine needles and pine cones, are broken pieces of glass.

This discovery made me think about the times I have walked through our front yard, out along the road, and picked up various pieces of broken glass that I always assumed people had disposed of by throwing their trash out their car windows. I would go along the fence line and pick up the glass so that the dogs and horses wouldn’t hurt themselves.  How many times I have tossed this out, cursing the irresponsible person who just threw it aside.  When I said that to Scott, he was quick to reply that this wasn’t trash, this was leftover from the logging camp that at one time existed in our front yard.  What!!  Did it ever cross your mind to tell about this bit of history in our small piece of the world?!?!

Well, anyone who knows me knows that I love history.  Especially history of my environment.  At this new bit of information, I made a beeline for our house.  We made a very, very quick sweep of the front year, finding a few treasures.

IMG_9946

In about five minutes we found these leftover pieces of history.

IMG_9915

IMG_9921

IMG_9925

IMG_9927

IMG_9930

IMG_9932

IMG_9934

IMG_9939

Who were these people who lived here before us?  I have found a new hobby in trying to find out a little more about them!  Oh I can only imagine what is out there waiting for us to find!

IMG_9969

I need to get going.  The sun will only be out for a few more minutes and the yard is calling me.  Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment