Sunday, May 1, 2011

Sunday Brunch

The sun is finally shining!  Oh, what a beautiful weekend this turned out to be.  Happy May Day, by the way.  I counted today and seven of the 200 daffodil bulbs that Nick and I planted actually bloomed this year.  Most of them came up with greenery, but only seven bloomed.  Hmmm, do you know why that is?

I can finally tell you about the project that Kim and I were involved in at work.  We call it Operation Prom Night.  I couldn’t tell you much about it earlier because we are sworn to secrecy until the presentation.  Here is a very brief overview.

1,100 students from three local high schools gathered at one football field to witness a recreation of a head-on collision between a drunk driver (one of their fellow students) and a driver that was texting (a local teacher). 

IMG_1171

In this scenario, the drunk driver walks away, but his girlfriend was not so lucky.  She was pretty much dead when emergency crews arrived on scene.  The important part of the presentation is to make things look as real as possible.  Just like a real incident, our crews arrived and tried to help her, with no results.

IMG_1221

She would lay on the football field throughout the rest of the presentation.  The second male in the car would be taken to the “emergency room” on the other side of the football field where his real parents would be told about the extent of his injuries. 

The second girl in the car was not so lucky.  She would eventually be extricated from the car and taken away in the Emergency Airlift helicopter.

IMG_1267

Again, her real parents would arrive at the “emergency room” where they were told that she died in the helicopter.  This presentation was very moving, even though I knew what was coming up.  I am pretty sure that we left a memory on some of the kids.  It was just good to be a part of something that brought together people who, on a normal day give each other a hard time, i.e. the relationship between cops and firefighters, and watch them work together on a common goal to make an impression on the young generation.  My role in all this was to act as the Public Information Officer.

IMG_7473

This role put me in charge of the media who attended.  In addition, I had my fifteen minutes of fame on the local news.

IMG_7474

I do have to be honest and say that I purposely did not watch the news that night because I didn’t want to see myself.

Since we are on the topic of famous people (like that transition), did you watch the Royal Wedding?  I did not feel that anyone would want to be around me if I got up at 1:00am to watch and then go on to go to work.  It would make for a very long day.  Instead, I DVR’d it, but I still have not watched the actual wedding.  I pretty much get the idea of what happened based on all the news I have seen.

In honor of the Royal Wedding, I wore a tiara all day on Friday.

IMG_1820

I also insisted that anyone who wanted something from me had to ask me using their best British accent.  Needless to say, I didn’t have to do much on Friday.  I really couldn’t get anyone to go along with it.  By the way, the beautiful bouquet of flowers came from my husband for Administrative Professional's day.

My sister is turning 40 this year.  I won’t say anything bad about turning 40 because I am not far behind.  For her birthday, she and I went to see Wicked at the Hult Center in Eugene.

100MEDIA_IMAG0037

Not the best picture, but I was trying to sneak it before the usher reminded us that there were no photos allowed.  We had so much fun!  We had an amazing dinner at The Electric Station and then walked the block over to the play.  This is easily my favorite play and last night’s show did not disappoint.

Visiting my sister and her family allowed me to catch one of my niece’s six little league softball games this morning.

IMG_1849

They won all three games yesterday and were playing in the winner’s bracket today.

IMG_1851

IMG_1858

Oh, these girls know how to have a good time.  Overhearing some of the things these 12/13 year-olds say in the dugout takes me back 25 years.

While I was away, the boys were playing.  Scotty came over to visit, and cut down a couple of sketchy trees on our property.

IMG_6347

IMG_6366

IMG_6397

IMG_6505

IMG_6549

IMG_6610

Yes, this is definitely a guy thing.  I love the way they look proud like they conquered the trees.  Boys and their toys.

The weather forecast is promising for the week.  I get to stay home for a while.  Scott, on the other hand, is headed out at the end of the week for a family adventure.  You will have to tune in later for more on that.

They say April showers bring May flowers.  (Around here, we don’t dare plant flowers until the first weekend in June)  Hopefully the sun will be making more of an appearance this month.

Have a great week and we will meet back here the same time next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment