Saturday, May 28, 2011

Rain, Snow, and Crazy Finds

I am having a hard time believing that it is three days away from June.  It rained and snowed here all day.  In some ways that was good because it kept the crowds down, but in other ways, I am sure that not all the swap meet vendors had all of their goods out.  I just know that the one thing I need is in this town, just hiding somewhere.  I am not sure what it is, but I will know it when I see it.

After sleeping in this morning (I never imagined that sleeping in would mean 6:30am), we showered, ate breakfast, and headed down at 8:00am to check out everything.  You know how when you have a garage sale and you say it opens at 8:00am and people start showing up at 7:00?  I just kept thinking about this the whole time we were eating our bagels.  Not to worry.  Apparently, nobody even uncovers their booth until around 9:00am.  We ended up coming back to the cabin for an hour and then going back down.

It didn’t take long before we found a few things.

IMG_8580

After filling his new found box full with goodies, we decided to go drop this off at the truck and put on our jackets.

IMG_8587

If we ever had a need for a wagon wheel, this would have been the place to get it.

IMG_8596

I had to be sure to get a pie from the Powder River Rural Fire Protection District Women’s Auxiliary Pie Sale.  Raspberry Rhubarb pie anyone?

IMG_8602

Here we are heading to the second swap meet location in town.  By this time the hail had really started.  Since it was mostly hail, we didn’t really get wet because it just bounced off. 

IMG_8619

Only at a swap meet would Scott let me buy a squirrel feeder.  Now we just need to teach the dogs not to chase the squirrels.

IMG_8613

This was absolutely my find of the day!  I know what you are probably thinking, what the heck do you do with an old drawer?  Oh, I have been looking for one of these for years for a craft project I have wanted to do.  I was so excited when I saw this buried in this guys pile of crap!  I didn’t even haggle for it. $25 was a steal.  I think the guy realized he could have gotten a lot more out of me.

IMG_8593

We spent about five hours rummaging around and ended up with a back seat full of stuff.  Tomorrow the weather is supposed to be nicer, meaning it might get up to 50 degrees, which is much higher than the today’s high of 35.  We plan to make another sweep of town and maybe check out the railroad and dredge.

For dinner tonight, we drove about an hour over to Haines.  This is a pretty good steak house and figured that since we were in the neighborhood, it would be a great place to eat dinner.

IMG_8652

Now it’s time to break out that pie and enjoy a quiet evening in the cabin.

No comments:

Post a Comment