Monday, September 30, 2013

40 x 40 - 36. Go To Powell's Bookstore in Portland with My Sister

A couple of weeks ago I went to visit my sister.  For the few weeks prior to my visit, we came up with a list of places we "HAD" to go shopping while I was there.  This list included Powell's City of Books in downtown Portland.  

If you have never been to Powell's, let  me paint a little picture.  This bookstore in an entire city block.  I mean An. Entire. City. Block!!!  You can literally enter the store from all four of the streets surrounding the store.  

For any first timer, it's crucial that you pick up a map as soon as you enter the store:

Map 1 edited

Map 2 edited

Oh, and did I mention that that there are three floors of a full city block, wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling full of books!  It's a little overwhelming to say the least. 

We each entered the store with a list of wants but soon learned that, as amateurs, we needed to use the computer system.  Ahh, the computer system.  In every section, on every floor is a computer station where you can look up the book you are in search of.  The system will tell you exactly where the book is.  By exactly, I mean the system tells you which color room, in which section, on what shelf, how many they have, and if they are new or used.  Oh, did I mention that they sell both new and used books here!!!

IMG 0590 Edited

We waited for a few minutes to try and get a good photo of the stairs, but finally gave up and snapped this one.  There was never a time when there weren't people every where.  But you never felt crowded. The cliental is fun.  You see all kinds in this store.  The atmosphere makes you want to grab a cup of coffee and stay for the entire day.

There were fun, artsy, items all around the store. It would have been so easy to leave here with bags and bags of books and goodies.  Being a little overwhelmed, I couldn't even think straight about what books I wanted.  I wanted them all!!!  But I restrained myself and only chose a few new (and used) books.  I also got my souvenir t-shirt.

IMG 0591 Edited

If you are ever in downtown Portland, Powell's City of Books is a must!

IMG 0592 Edited

And if you're looking for the best book shopping buddy, be sure to take a children's librarian! 

No comments:

Post a Comment