Sunday, January 22, 2012

40 x 40

A good friend of mine makes a list every year on her birthday.  It’s a list of things she wants to do before her next birthday.  So, I guess you could say that I am stealing her fabulous idea.

One month ago I turned 38.  It was a quiet birthday, but one spent with my family.  I am not one of those people who dwells on age.  I actually feel better about myself at 38 than I did at 28.  Life seems to get better with age.  Doing the math, I am 23 months away from turning 40.  I have decided to put together a list of 40 things I would like to do before I turn 40.  Some of these come from my overall bucket list, but I tried to choose things that would be possible to do in the next 23 months.  Climbing to the top of an Egyptian pyramid, or spending the night in an Irish castle probably won’t happen before 40.  The purpose of this list to think about things that are attainable.  Maybe, by sharing this list with you, you will want to join me for one or more of these.

1. See a professional ballet

2. See the fall colors in New England

3. Adopt a kitten

4. Reach my goal weight and maintain

5. Run a 5k with my niece

6. Attend my 20-year high school class reunion

7. Visit five National Parks

8. Have a monthly date night with my husband

9. Watch a foreign film

10. Read “Gone with the Wind”

11. Turn off the TV more

12. Hike a total of 40 miles

13. Complete project 366

14. Learn how to “bind” a quilt

15. Catch a steelhead fish

16. Buy flowers at a roadside flower stand for no specific reason

17. Get a pedicure

18. See my nephew play high school sports

19. Build a chicken coop in my backyard

20. Volunteer 40+ hours

21. Enter the Klamath County Fair

22. Spend the night in a fire lookout

23. Take a yoga class

24. Host a dinner party

25. Spend a girls weekend away with my best friend

26. Ride the train to see my family

27. Climb Hogsback

28. Go to the coast for the weekend with my husband

29. Master a homemade salsa recipe

30. Take a class at the local community college

31. Spend a day doing nothing but reading a book

32. Go to a concert

33. Have a picnic in a park in San Francisco

34. Spend a day at the zoo with my husband

35. Go to Powell’s Books in Portland with my sister

36. Can my own vegetables

37. Read 40 books

38. Ride on a Ferris wheel

39. Be an extra in a movie or tv show

40. Be a better friend

Check back frequently to see if I have achieved any of my goals for the next 23 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment