Monday, November 7, 2011

A Follow-Up

A couple of weekends ago I headed out of town for my annual scrapbooking camp retreat.  A group of us women go about 40 miles up the road to a boy scout camp and use the facilities for a scrapbooking getaway.  It is so much fun.  We eat in the cafeteria style dining room, scrapbook for 20 hours a day in a room that is heated by a woodstove, and sleep in cabins equipped with bunk beds.

This is no light packing trip.  It takes a while to get all my scrapbooking stuff loaded up.  You never know what you might need.

IMG_5501

My main project for this trip was something I have been thinking about for a while.  For those of you that follow my blog, you may remember this little treasure that I found in Sumpter at the swap meet in May.

IMG_8612

It took a while to decide what I was going to do with this old drawer.  It finally came to me.  I decided to use pictures from various places we had been, along with all the scraps of travel embellishments I have accumulated, to make a fun display.

The first step was to sort through all of the photos.

IMG_5504

I also had to make the decision whether to remove some of the slats to make bigger openings.  I went back and forth on this until I actually sat down and looked at the drawer.  All of the slats were nailed in pretty good, and I was a little worried about damaging the drawer by trying to alter it.  I decided that I would work with the drawer exactly the way I found it.  This made it a little challenging to find some pictures that were skinny enough to fit in the openings, without cutting off our heads.

I went through our photos and laid out the pattern for how they would fit. 

IMG_5505

After the photos were laid out, the next step was to go through the embellishments and find ones that would fit in the leftover openings. 

IMG_5509

During this process, a few of the pictures got moved around based on embellishments that I really wanted to use.

IMG_5511

This project took the better part of one day to finish.  That takes into consideration that I took three breaks for meals, and had a few distractions by the socializing side of this trip.

In the end, I am really happy with the finished project.

IMG_5552

IMG_5550

I love that the drawer comes from one of our adventures, and includes memories of other adventures.  Now the decision on how to display it.

No comments:

Post a Comment