Monday, October 10, 2011

10 Random Things

I know, I know, it’s been a while.  Sorry about that.  Things have been crazy around here.  And after blogging everyday for two weeks, I needed a short break.  That short break somehow got away from me.

Today I want to share 10 random things that are going on in our lives.

10. Two months from tomorrow is the Honolulu Marathon.  That means that the training schedule around here has officially been kicked into high gear.  It also means that, no matter how fast the weather changes around here, and how cold it gets, there is a sunny warm beach in our near future.

9. Speaking of weather, it’s time to winterize the yard.  I am holding out doing this because it means that the warm weather is over.  This weekend is supposed to be the last of the nice ones, meaning that it is supposed to be 55 and raining.  Scott and I have committed to getting this over with.

8. A couple of weekends ago we traveled north to Albany.  I can’t even begin to list everything that we did in the 48 hours we were there. Scott and Austin ran in the first ever Race for Literacy in Lebanon.

IMG_4678

We won’t get into the race results, but we can say that Austin finished 2nd (should have been first) and Scott finished fourth.  Don’t worry, Scott got his first place ribbon for placing first in his age division.

IMG_4769

My dad also came out to show his support for both the boys and the Lebanon Rotary who was sponsoring the event.

7. I have been watching a new 10-part series on PBS.  It’s a British show called Lark Rise to Candleford.  I DVR’d the first three episodes and watched them yesterday while I worked on a knitting project.  I watched the first episode and then wondered if I actually missed the first episode.  I was so confused.  I got the feeling I was supposed to know a lot more than I did.  I then watched the second episode and the characters and the plot had dramatically changed from the first episode.  After watching the third episode I had come to the conclusion that I just don’t get British TV. 

I couldn’t handle it anymore and Googled it today at work.  Well, come to find out, Lark Rise to Candleford is actually a four season show on the BBC, but when it came to America, PBS decided to only air the 10 best episodes.  So what I thought was episode one, was episode one in America, but actually episode nine in Britain.  Who the heck does this????  Yes, they then skipped a few episodes and showed episode 12 as episode two.  Are you confused now?  Good, now I am not the only one.  I don’t know why I felt the need to share this with you, other than it was three hours of my life that I will never get back.

6. We sold Zippy the other day.  You may not know Zippy, but we spent over 110,000 miles with her.  She was a member of our family, and I will admit that I shed a tear the last time I saw her drive off.

5. A couple of numbers back I told you that we went north.  In one day, we watch a race, a softball game, and a soccer game.  It’s a rare event when I get to see my niece or nephew play sports.  Time is moving too fast and they will be grown and gone before we know it.

IMG_4822

Yes, this is my 12-year old niece, and no, she is not standing on anything.  Ugh, I think I am back to being the shortest person in my family again.

4. I must report that I have absolutely the coolest job in the world!  October is Fire Prevention month, which means we have been busy at work with safety fairs and open houses.  One of the demonstrations at the open house this past weekend included a fireman climbing a ladder.  From the shot at the top, it doesn’t look like much.

IMG_5039

But from the bottom, it’s a whole different perspective.

IMG_6459

You can spot him almost at the top.

Standing around with the other people watching this demonstration, and listening to their excitement, really makes me proud that I get to see this every day, and that I get to work with these people!

3. While were on the subject of work, I am heading to Silverton tomorrow for the annual Oregon Fire Service Office Administrators conference.  This promises to be another exciting conference.  Plus, this year is being held at The Oregon Gardens, which is a place I have always wanted to visit, but never have.  You know, it’s one of those things where it’s right in your backyard and you always assume it’s going to be there, so you never go there.  It is also home to the only Frank Lloyd Wright house in Oregon, and the only one in the Pacific Northwest that you can actually tour through.  I am hoping to get a chance to go through it.

2. I have a new hobby.  I know what you are thinking, another hobby?  I have taken up quilting.  I have sewn one quilt and am in the process of getting it professionally quilted.  I will share pictures as soon as I get it back.  (Actually, the pictures are on my computer, which is in the shop getting a check up so I can’t show them to you now.)

1. So a while ago I told you that we traveled up to Albany.  While I busy getting my sports fix, Scott went over to Independence to take his niece Emma’s senior pictures.  We have worked with her to narrow down the literally 1,000 pictures down to a few manageable dozen.  I am now using a new photo editing program I found online to spruce up the photos.  Not that Emma needs any sprucing up, but it is fun to see what you can do with the right tools.  Here are some examples:

Before:

IMG_5248

After:

IMG_5248 edited

Before:

IMG_5263

After:

IMG_5263 edited

Before:

IMG_5904

After:

IMG_5904 edited

I am still learning how to use the program, but I am definitely having fun playing around.

And now you know, we haven’t dropped off the face of the earth, we just haven’t had a lot of time to sit down and check in.  Now it’s off to pack for our next trip.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment